Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Random and Black and Entertainment





I've been playing and re-playing the new Musiq Soulchild CD, OnMyRadio. I was on the fence about him until the Mary J. Blige duet, "If You Leave", surfaced on radio. That song really took me back. The CD is right in line with that single. It's worth a listen. Does anyone else feel a resurgence of R&B in the air? A week hasn't gone by that artist, old and new, have sent reminders of where it all came from. I'm excited.

While I'm on Musiq and music, I can't wait until 2/10/09. I have all of the albums and each of them speak to me. I wasn't originally as big a fan as I am now, but this did it for me.


Oprah says she weighs 200 pounds
All I have to say to Lady O is that there nothing to be mad or embarassed about. She must have forgot where she came from. I always liked Miss Winfrey with some meat on her bones. She looked like a bubble head, scrawny gal when she lost all of that weight. I would like to see her discuss being comfortable in the skin she's in. At the end of the day, she's an icon that millions look up to. It's not what we see on her, it what we see in her that counts. The woman is phenomenal, 200 lbs or 130 lbs.











I'm also excited to see some buzz around two black actresses that have been riding under the radar. That radar being Angela Bassett, Halle Berry, Sanaa Lathan, Jada Pinkett, and you get the drift. Although Baby Boy was a typical Singleton film, Taraji P. Henson, really caught my attention. I thought she was great. I first encounteresd Viola Davis in Antwone Fisher. I don't think she muttered a word. Her brief appearance on screen was one that really ripped at the heart strings. There is some Oscar Buzz around their performances in some upcoming Holiday flicks. Taraji P. Henson co-stars along the likes of Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Viola Davis does her thing onscreen with Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt. Unfortunately, if all of the stars and moons are aligned, they'll have to go at it against one another in the supporting category. They were just announced as contenders for the BFCA Critics' Choice Awards. We have all heard about the lack of roles for black actresses in Hollywood. It's good to see there were at least two this year. LOL

No comments: